4/04/2014

SPINACH & MAPLE BALSAMIC SALAD, GRILLED CHEESE WITH TOMATO BISQUE, CHOCOLATE WAFFLES

CULINARY ARTIST: JESSE FOGARTY
OVERALL STAR RATING: 4.7783333/5

FOOD EATERS: IAN, BRIANNE, & ERIC, BRAD, SHAUNA
SPECIAL GUESTS: BRAD & SHAUNA



Eric: "Let's start at the beginning. Did you have any inspirations for tonight? You were supposed to cook with Ryan, what happened?"

Jesse "He bailed. Ryan bailed. But we had discussed the night before, about a grilled cheese, and then I thought, ooh, what better than with tomato soup. Started out that I was going to make a tomato soup, but then I ended up making a tomato bisque.

I pretty much made up my own recipe for the soup. I didn't use a recipe. If you like a little more texture than soup, cook it with rice.

I always thought that a tomato bisque was just heavy cream, but it's not just heavy cream, it's also rice. Basmati. I used a cup, but it only called for a teaspoon. But you thicken it by putting more rice, and right out the gate I wanted this to be a thick bitch."


Jesse: "It's a known fact that rock and roll makes food more delicious"

Brianne: "It's scientifically proven."


FIRST COURSE: Spinach & Maple Balsamic Salad
STAR RATING: 4.4/5





Baby Spinach Blue Cheese and Nut Salad

Blue cheese crumbled, with a maple syrup balsamic dressing. Tossed by hand, with cold wet fingers. Served with a drizzle. Not too much dressing. Very little dressing.

That's it for that one. Period, end sentence.

By the way, I haven't read the reviews, but Ian, I think that was very nice of you.

Ian: Star rating:4.7
"I'm going to give it a 4.7, i'm going to have to say it was a light and refreshing salad. I really enjoyed the hint of blue cheese, that wasn't too overpowering. I enjoyed it."


Brianne: Star rating: 4.4
"The salad was great. that balsamic was especially great. Good nut medley, and i give it a 4.4."

Eric: Star rating: 4.5
"The salad was delightful. Spinach salad done right. A light dressing, a hint, a pinch of a hint, of blue cheese. Some nuts. I can't remember what kind, we ate it a while ago. It was just the kind of salad i would make for myself but would much rather have made for me, by jesse, while he raises cancer awareness with one bare foot. 4.5!

Brad: Star rating: 4.0
"It was a nice little spinach arrangement, the nuts were a good addition, light on the dressing. I usually hate too much dressing. it was a good amount. good portion and it set me up for a nice afternoon."


SECOND COURSE: Grilled Cheese with Maple Bacon & Tomato Bisque
STAR RATING: 4.935/5




I started off by doing a bacon tomato, a bacon cup, and a bacon weave. A combination of on-stove top and in the over, so, points for effort.

Eric: "Did you just try a couple different kinds of bacon, pick the best?"

Jesse: "I did. My whole intention was to have the bacon cups go as a garnish on top of my soup."

Eric: "I didn't have a bacon cup. I think we ran out of bacon cups."

Jesse: "My inspiration for the sandwich was to get the texture of the soup to be as much like the cheese inside the grilled cheese sandwich, so that it was like getting cheese-bread-cheese. And then you get that crunch from the bacon. So it wasn't really a soup, it was more of a dip."

Eric: "I dipped."

Jesse: "You pretty much don't even need a spoon. I should call it the spoonless soup."

Eric: "Ian did you dip?"

Ian: "I dipped."




Jesse: "I think everybody dipped. I saw Brad and Shauna dip. I saw you two dipping! Together in the same bowl. It was romantic. Just remember that for when you judge me. Wait you already did!"

Jesse: "Carrying through with my blue cheese inspiration which was developped from - I had a strong belief that there was no way Brianne would dislike blue cheese if it was used properly. She told me she didn't like blue cheese and I was like woah woah, I'm cancelling. And then I was lying."

Eric: "Good, because she was like, he better not, because we said we'd eat anything."

Jesse: "I made her think I was going to not use it, but then I tried to incorporate it into every single dish. And then she was eating it out of the container. Liked it, she loved it!

There was a hint of paprika in the soup, which I think really kicked it up a notch."

Eric: "That's probably what I was tasting."

Jesse: "See, secret weapon."

Ian: Star rating: 5
"I'm going to give it a perfect 5. the salty thick strips with that beautiful combination of cheddar and blue cheese was outstanding. The toasted bread held it all together with that...uuuuhhh. perfect, tomato bisque. that's it."

Brianne: Star rating: 5
"It smelt so good I was pacing around the kitchen waiting to eat it. and then I ate it and it was top notch. I'm surprised how much i liked the blue cheese. The bacon was really thick and the bisque was really creamy. A+ 5 out of 5."

Eric: Star rating: 5
"It's unfair we're rating these together. they're both 5's in their on right, but together they're a solid 5. the grilled cheese was amazing. I love blue cheese. great attention to detail; crispy bread, tender bacon. a real home run."

"I forgot about the soup. The soup was amazing too. A rice bisque? Are we the only one's just now learning this is a thing? Definitely going to start making this at home."

Brad: Star rating: 4.975
"I echo Ian's sentiments.
Presentation was at a seriously high caliber. It was seriously good.  Presentation was gorgeous. I usually hate soup for the most part but Jesse's tomato bisque definitely made it's way into the top 5 soups I've ever had in the history of me being alive, and I thank him for that from the bottom of my socks. Sorry.. forgot to mention how good the sandwich was. Maple bacon...WHAT!!!? Was not ready for that ;) thanks Jess.

Shauna: Star rating: 4.7
"I can't believe there was rice in that soup, it was just delicous. I have no idea." 
Brad: "I forgot to say how viscous it was!"
Shauna: "It was a nice colour. Swirl of cream, and the thick cut bacon was a treat. Super cheezy sandwich, maple bacon, you can't get any better than that."


DESSERT: Chocolate Waffles with Chocolate Chip Whipped Cream
STAR RATING: 5/5





The waffles, which was like a beautiful disaster. I did not think they were going to get made. I picked up cookie crumbs not knowing how I was going to use them. Whipping cream was on sale, go figure that would need whipped cream. It was a sign. I bought three containers. One for my soup, and two for my waffles. Oh yeah, I used whipping cream instead of heavy cream.

Eric: "You bought a waffle iron."

Jesse: "Yes. I'm that dedicated. I buy a lot of stuff for eating-stuff."

Eric: "So if there are any waffle iron makers out there listening..."

Ian: Star rating: 5
"Another perfect dish. The delicious cocoa waffles with fresh whipped cream was out of this world. With the blueberry filling, and blackberry on top made this a perfect dish."

Brianne: Star rating: 5
"They are totally incredible. They're perfectThey're incredible. So, like, perfect dark chocolate. Very filling and superb. It's incredible. Oh, now I'm getting some shaved chocolate."
Jesse: "Hi. I forgot."
Brianne: "Mmmmmmm. Eric, I give it a 5."

Eric: Star rating: 5
"One of the strongest desserts we've seen. Perfect chocolate waffles. They were like a dense cake. The chocolate chip whipped cream on top with blackberries. Sweet sweet juicy blackberries. Another 5."

Then we played a scary wii game where you run away from another person.




PHOTO BOOTH PHOTO!!




No comments:

Post a Comment